Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What are you going to do with it?


After a life time of bathing myself, I thought I knew how to do it. Clearly I've been doing it all wrong. I got my first ayurvedic massage today after school, and the whole experience reminded me that everything we do in this life can be made into worship. The two women lead me through the whole ritual with complete care and thoroughness. One woman had me sit on the wooden massage table with my feet on a stool and proceeded to rub herbal oil lengthwise into my scalp. She worked methodically through my scalp with her fingers of one hand and held my head with the other palm. Then she put warm oil everywhere. Did I say everywhere? Yeah... The massage was done with two women and they synched up so it felt like I was being rubbed down by a four armed Goddess. Afterwards warm oil was dropped from a contraption that looks like one half of an hour glass onto my forehead. I don't remeber much after that. When I came through, the original woman who had done the head rub took me into the bathroom and bathed me using buckets of warm water and herbal scrub to remove the oils from the skin. I learned to inhale while she was fetching the water, so that during my exhale the water that was poured right over my head wouldn't go up my nose. Then she tenderly dried me off like I was a little baby that she like to take care of. She had me put on my clothes, and all three of us walked downstairs together. They sat me down in a room with marble floor, orange walls, a couch and a gigantic sculpture of Shiva Nataraj. They gave me herbal sweet tea that tasted like a gingersnap and that was it. It is so easy to forget that everything we do in this life matters. And more importantly, the way that we treat our own bodies matters. So I ask you, now that you have a body, what are you going to do with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment